The Causes of Disease Summarized
It must be accepted as a basic proposition that all disease is a result of the misuse of force in some earlier life or in this. This is fundamental.
1. 90% of the causes of disease are to be found in the etheric and astral bodies. Wrong use of mental energy and misapplied desire are paramount factors, yet with the bulk of humanity still in the Atlantean stages of consciousness, only 5% of the prevalent diseases are due to mental causes. The percentage varies with the development of the race and it evolution. Disease is therefore the working out into manifestation of undesirable, subjective conditions—vital, emotional and mental.
2. Everything concerning the health of man can be approached from three angles:
a. That of the personality life…of this we are learning much.
b. That of humanity as a whole…this is beginning to be appreciated.
c. That of the planetary life…...of this we can know little.
3. All disease is caused by lack of harmony between FORM and LIFE, between soul and personality; this lack of harmony runs through all the kingdoms in nature.
4. The bulk of diseases are of:
a. Group origin.
b. The result of infection.
c. Malnutrition, physically, subjectively and OCCULTLY UNDERSTOOD.
5. Diseases for the masses, for the average citizen, for the intelligentsia and for disciples differ widely and have differing fields of expression.
a. The three major groups of diseases for the first two classes are:
The social diseases
b. The two major diseases for the intelligentsia and for disciples are:
6. Disease is a fact in nature. When this is accepted, men will begin to work with the Law of Liberation, with right thought, leading to right attitudes and orientation and with the principle of NONRESISTANCE. Of this nonresistance, the overpowering willingness to die which is so frequently a characteristic of the final stage immediately preceding death is the lowest manifestation. It is nonresistance which psychologically governs coma. (It is the personality that RESISTS the soul. Later it will cooperate with it. We should view the universe as a LIVING ORGANISM with its organs and cells, as all parts of the whole. No cell can live outside the organism. We are cells in the body of our God. Our humanity represents the throat chakra of our Planetary God. The 7 Planetary Logoi or Gods are the chakras of the Lord of our solar system. Mdb)
7. The Law of Cause and Effect, or of Karma, governs all disease. This embraces individual, group, national and total human karma.
DISEASES DUE TO THE LIFE OF DISCIPLESHIP
Earlier I told you that disease originated in the four following causes:
1. It is the result of blocking the free life of the soul
2. It is caused by three sources of contamination:
a. Ancient mistakes, so-called sins and errors of the individual concerned, committed in this life or another earlier incarnation.
b. Human taints and predispositions, inherited in common with all the rest of humanity.
c. Planetary evil, incident to the point achieved by the planetary Logos and conditioned by planetary Karma.
3. It is conditioned by the forces emanating from the plane upon which the man’s consciousness is primarily focused. (most are focused on the astral or emotional plane. They are filled with their desires. Mdb)
4. The five major types of disease, with their allied and subsidiary effects, can and do produce results where the disciple is concerned; he is not immune until after the third initiation. (On the path of return to our source, we progress through initiations. Many of the intelligentsia have taken the 1st initiation. These are the aspirants consciously striving to attain self-mastery. Many times those who have taken the 2nd initiation may exhibit clairvoyance or have a strong personality. As one evolves, the web between the centers disintegrates. That allows one to have a degree of continuity of consciousness: i.e. We recall our activities on the psychic plane while we were asleep. After the 3rd initiation the evolutionary process is speeded up, as the Monad (the Divine Self) takes an interest in the personality. Before that time, it is uninterested. Before the 1st major initiation the soul is uninterested. It is really the 3rd initiation as the first two initiations don’t count.Mdb).
The Diseases of the Mystics.
However, the disciple is seldom tubercular (except when karmically conditioned), nor is he prone to succumb to the social diseases except as they may affect him physically through his sacrificial life of service. Contagion can affect him but not seriously so. Cancer may claim him as a victim, but he is more liable to succumb to heart complaints and to nervous trouble of some kind or another. The straight mystic succumbs more to purely psychological situations connected with the integrated personality, and therefore incident to his being focused largely on the astral plane. The disciple is more prone to mental difficulties and to those complaints which are concerned with energy and are due to fusion—either completed or in process—of soul and personality.
The first cause which I listed earlier was summed up in the statement that disease is the result of the blocking of the free life and the in-pouring energy of the soul. This blockage is brought about by the mystic when he succumbs to his own thoughtforms, created constantly in response to his MOUNTING ASPIRATION. These become barriers between him and the free life of the soul and block his contact and the consequent resulting inflow of soul energy.
The disciple reverses the entire situation and falls a victim (prior to the third initiation) to the terrific inflow of soul energy coming to him from:
a. His own soul, with which center of energy fusion is rapidly taking place.
b. His group or the Ashram with which he, as an accepted disciple, is affliated.
c. His Master, with Whom he has spiritual relation and to Whose vibratory influence he is ever susceptible.
d. The Hierarchy, the energy of which can reach him through the medium of all the three above factors.
Pg. 116 All these streams of energy have a definite effect upon the centers of the disciple, according to his ray and his specific polarization in this incarnation. As each center is related to one or other of the glands, and these in their turn condition the blood stream, and also have a specific effect upon the organic structure within the range of their vibratory influence (i.e. the stomach, close to the solar plexus, and the heart, close to the heart center, etc.), you will see how it is possible that the major diseases from which a disciple can suffer (which are unique and confined primarily to advanced humanity) will be the result of overstimulation or the inflow of energy to one particular center, producing excessive and localized trouble. (through meditation a balance and harmoney is achieved. mdb)
To these conditions the mystic is not so prone unless he is rapidly becoming the practical mystic or occultist. The mystic is ever conscious of duality. He is the seeker in search of light, of the soul. He is the follower of the vision, a disciple of the Christ, and this conditions his thinking and his aspiration. He is a devotee and one who loves the apparently unattainable—the Other than himself.
Only when he becomes the occultist does the mystic learn that all the time the magnet which attracted him, and the dualism which colored his life and thoughts and which gave motive to all he sought to do, was his true self, the one Reality. He recognizes then that identification with that one reality enables duality to be transmuted into UNITY and the sense of search to be transformed into the effort to become what he essentially is---a Son of God, one with all Sons of God. Having done that, he finds himself one with the ONE in Whom we live, move and have our being. (the planetary Logos. Mdb)
Next I would point out that the lowest expression of the mystical condition, is that which is called a “split personality”. When this condition is present, the personal LOWER self expresses itself through a basic condition of duality and two persons express themselves, apparently, instead of the integrated personality-soul. This creates a dangerous psychological condition and one which warrants trained scientific handling. That is largely lacking at this time, as so few trained psychologists and psychiatrists recognize the fact of the soul. The split personality and the mystic, are two aspects of one whole—the aspect which is right, and along the line of high spiritual unfoldment, and the aspect which is a reflection and a distortion of that grade of development which precedes that of the trained occultist.
Pg. 130-131 The problems connected with the respiratory or breathing system are all related to the heart, and therefore concerned with the establishing of right rhythm and right contact with the environment. The drawing in of the life breath, the sharing of the air with all other human beings, denotes both an individual center of life and participation also in the general life of all. To these problems of individual or separative existence and of its opposite, THE SACRED WORD, the OM, is intimately related. It might be said in the words of an occult manual on healing, given to advanced disciples, that:
“He who lives under the sound of the AUM knows himself. He who lives sounding the OM knows his brother. He who knows the SOUND, knows all” (The OM signifies the fusion of the personality and soul. This would be graduation from this planet at the 5th initiation. Then the Initiate has a choice of either remaining to help humanity or moving on to higher spheres. The soul, as well as deity, creates its vehicles through sound and mantrams. The mantram, Om Mani Padme Hum is powerful, even if you don't know its meaning. Mdb)